From simple approvals to complex data manipulation, the digital workflow can make any task faster and more effective. A digital workflow is the automation of any process that an organization uses to get things done. Usually, real people are executing or at least initiating the steps to the process, but digitization provides tools that make it easier, faster, and trackable. Most modern workflows include tasks for people and computer systems. A digital workflow can be simple or complex. Digital workflow can be as simple as using emails rather than paper memos and forms to communicate and complete simple processes within a company, or it can be a complex system that includes every aspect of a company’s operation for full process management. Digital workflows let users automate any repeatable task. By automating repetitive tasks, businesses can reduce the time spent on repetitive tasks, user-generated errors, and administrative overhead costs. Going digital means that data is more secure, and easier to track than paper files that can be difficult to secure or get lost. A digital process holds everyone accountable for their work because its completion is visible.
7 Steps To Creating A Digital Workflow:
- Where to automate processes: Create a plan that protects your employees and your business’s output with as few disruptions as possible. To replicate and improve existing workflows, you need to understand how they are currently handled. Are workflows managed completely using paper forms? Are there digital forms and email threads? Where or to whom do people send the completed or approved forms? Manual repetitive processes are a great first candidate for automation.
- To ensure a smooth automation journey, create a workflow map: This is a report of every process you plan to digitize from start to finish. It is essential to get a thorough understanding of the task structure and the data exchanged in tasks before you design a workflow. A team creates a workflow map for their digital workflow. It is important that each automation has a separate workflow map.
- Transparency is key: The new process must be accessible to the whole team. A cloud-based storage solution is a great way to ensure that your entire team can access important documents. With access to the workflow map, the team can train all new employees about the new automated processes.
- Considerations when choosing business automation software: When it comes to disruptive technology, few solutions have shaken up the world of business more than automation software. The automation of business processes helps organizations to simplify and remove redundant steps from critical business processes which results in streamlined operations that enhance productivity and profits and reduce error and costs. When choosing an automation software solution for your business, think about the needs and priorities outlined in your workflow maps.
- Bring and keep essential files up to date with modern technology: Your current processes might depend on paper archives and filing systems. This usually is inconvenient and impossible to access in a digital workflow. Incorporate this data into your system. Transfer the paper files to digital files. Scan the files and plan a digitization project.
- Security concerns for any digital document: Just as you may keep physical documents locked in fire-resistant file cabinets, keep computers protected with passwords that regularly change, encryption, up-to-date antivirus software, regular virus scans, automatic time-out features, and other security measures. Which employees and collaborators have access to which document is an important security concern. For example, the HR manager should have access to all files in HR, while the average employee should see only approved information. Assigning roles and permission is an important step to ensure your software is an asset, not a risk.
- Before you deploy your new automation process, do the testing: Implementing strong pre- and post-deployment testing methodologies will help ensure your new digital workflows are working without a hitch. As an example, set up a fake customer account and go from start to finish with the process. Before it goes wide to all its users, troubleshoot any errors that might cause disruption.
If you currently operate with a paper-and-Excel-based recording system and trawling through mountains of paperwork is part of your job, opting for the digitalization of your processes will come as a huge time saver. Free up those expert brains for more value-added data analysis and enable your staff to concentrate on problem-solving or error prevention instead of document reviews.
About Information Consultants
Information Consultants uses Enterprise Content Management (ECM) software by Laserfiche to help businesses create, organize, manage, and access all documents and forms through secure, easy-to-use programs. At Information Consultants, we work closely with each of our clients to consult, train, and operate Laserfiche in order to boost efficiency and profitability within the company! We are a leader in global technology services and solutions consulting based in South Florida with offices in Pembroke Pines and Downtown Miami.
> Learn More